A couple of weeks ago our Community Support Manager Clare arranged a cooking inspiration day for some of GGT's community partners with Hobbs House Bakery, a fantastic local producer stocked at Gloucester Services.
Our community partners receive bread that can no longer be sold by retailers to cook and share with residents, and bread is something we all often have left over. Here's the first recipe you can try too - big thanks to Hobbs House for sharing!
Rustic Italian inspired bread salad using autumn vegetables with a hint of warming chilli.
1. Peel and chop the vegetables into chunks, keeping each vegetable separate as they will cook at different rates. Toss them in olive oil and season with salt and pepper, add the rosemary.
2. Place in roasting trays and cook in a hot oven (180ºC) for about 30 – 40 minutes until soft and slightly caramelised. Add the chopped garlic and chilli towards the end of cooking.
3. Cut the stale bread into chunks and toss in a little olive oil. Toast lightly in the oven.
4. Allow the cooked vegetables and toasted bread to cool slightly.
5. In a bowl, mix the lemon juice, vinegar and olive oil together to make a dressing.
6. In a separate bowl, mix the cooked vegetables and the bread together, with the chopped parsley and the rocket salad.
7. Add the dressing to the salad and toss together making sure everything is coated and mixed together well.
8. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
9. Best served at room temperature.